One Medal of Merit may be awarded each year to a chapter member (current or alumni) making an outstanding contribution to the advancement of college journalism. The Medal of Merit is a medallion. The cost, $12.00, is paid by the chapter making the award.
Basic conditions for making the merit awards are:
- That the recommendations for the awards be made to the National Executive Director by the local chapter faculty adviser, a Dean, Vice President or President at the institution, director of student publications or director of student activities. Chapters should make nominations to the appropriate adviser, administrator, or director with supporting evidence of the work done.
- That the required evidence, nomination form and recommendation be received by the National Executive Director, along with the fee for medals, before the beginning of the next school year.
- One Medal of Merit for each chapter each year was authorized by the 1977 SCJ National Convention. Two Certificates of Merit for each chapter each year were authorized by the 1973 SCJ National Convention.
Please complete the Medal of Merit Nomination Form online or submit via snail mail or email using the Medal of Merit Nomination Form PDF. This form is to be completed between Jan. 15 and May 15. Please allow three weeks for processing. The form is to be completed by a chapter adviser, student media director, dean, president or vice president of student activities.
- To pay with Credit Card by phone, please call (217) 581-6003.
- Send PayPal payment using our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Processing fee may apply.
- Checks or money orders should be made out to THE SOCIETY FOR COLLEGIATE JOURNALISTS and mailed to:
Sally Renaud, Ph.D., Executive Director
Society for Collegiate Journalists National Office
Eastern Illinois University
Charleston, IL 61920
Phone: (217) 581-6003